Basic concepts and terminology for avoiding collisions at sea. Relative screaming. Plotting. Setting radar - practical tips. Ways to display a radar image. Using radar for safe navigation. Use of radar to avoid collisions at sea. Errors and deficiencies of radar and ARPA systems. Principles of graphic plotting on a radar diagram. Principles for the avoidance of collisions on the radar diagram on the high seas, in coastal waters and in separation zones. Radar vs. AIS.
Content according to IMO Model course 7.01:
- COORDINATE SEARCH AND RESCUE OPERATIONS
- See IMO model course 1.08 and STCW reg. I/12.
- MAINTAIN SAFE NAVIGATION THROUGH THE USE OF INFORMATION FROM NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT AND SYSTEMS TO ASSIST COMMAND DECISION MAKING
- See IMO model courses 1.08, 1.22, 1.27, 1.34 and STCW reg. 1/12.
- MAINTAIN SAFE NAVIGATION THROUGH THE USE OF ECDIS AND ASSOCIATED NAVIGATION SYSTEMS TO ASSIST COMMAND DECISION MAKING
- See IMO model courses 1.27 in association with 1.08 and 1.22.
Content according to IMO Model courses 1.07, 1.08 and 1.09
Radar navigation, radar plotting and use of ARPA.
Radar ARPA Bridge teamwork and Search and Rescue.
Goals and competencies
To get skills and coping responsibilities for avoiding collisions at sea.
Students with a successfully completed course might gain a special certificate: Use of Radar and ARPA (operational level).
Implementation of the learning content among others include requirements in accordance with the provisions of the STCW Convention and IMO Model courses: 1.07 - Radar Navigation at Operational Level, 1.08 - Radar, ARPA, Bridge Teamwork and Search and Rescue; 1.09 Radar Simulator
- Cockcroft A.N. and Lamaijer J.N.F. AGuide to the Collision Avoidance Rules, Oxford, 1990, 249 str. ISBN: 0-7506-2690-9.
- Burger, W. Radar Observer's Handbook for Merchant Navy Officers, Glasgow, Brow, Son & Ferguson, 1983, 467 str. ISBN: 0-85174-443-5.
- Meikle, H. Modern Radar Systems, Artech House Publishers, Boston/London, 2008, 728 str. ISBN: 1596932422.
- IMO/DNV. 2002. IMO-VEGA, VERSION 2002. London: Dataware Techologies.
- IMO model courses 1.07 Radar Navigation at Operational Level, RADAR NAVIGATION, RADAR PLOTTING AND USE OF ARPA, IMO, London, 1999.
- IMO model courses 1.08 Radar Navigation at Management Level, RADAR, ARPA, BRIDGE TEAMWORK AND SEARCH AND RESCUE IMO, London, 1999.
- IMO model courses 1.09 Radar simulator, IMO, London, 1991.
- ARPA Video: Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA), Code No.154, Videotel Marine International Limited.